Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Chinese Fun Stuff: Which flowers do you like?


Key Learning Point (Preview):

花 (huā) n./v. flower/to spend (money)


Conversation:

          Nǐ xǐhuan shénme huā?
Boy:   你   喜欢      什么     花?
          Which flowers do you like?

          Wǒ xǐhuan liǎng zhǒng huā.
Girl:    我     喜欢         两 种      花.
          I like two kinds of flowers.

         Nǎ liǎng zhǒng? Wǒ sòng gěi nǐ!
Boy:  哪     两 种?         我     送 给   你!
         I’ll get them both for you!

        Yǒu qián huā, suíbiàn huā!
Girl:  有     钱      花,    随 便    花! 
        I can spend money as I wish.   

      From the above conversation, you can see that the Chinese word “花 (huā)”  has drastically different meanings. When used as a noun, it means flower. When used as a verb, it means to spend (money).

Key Learning Point:

花 (huā) n./v. flower/to spend (money)


 Examples:

Lily xǐhuan gè zhǒng gè yàng de huā.
Lily    喜欢     各 种 各 样         的   花。  
Lily likes all kinds of flowers.

Jiějie shì yíge hěn ài huāqián de rén.
姐姐   是  一个 很 爱     花钱    的 人。  
My sister really likes spending money.

Tiān na, wǒ yìtiān jiù huā wán le zhège yuè de gōngzī.
天   哪,我  一天   就   花   完  了   这个 月   的   工资。
My God, I spent my entire month’s salary in one day.

Practice:

1. Which one of the following is not a meaning of “花 (huā)? ”

A. flower        B. spend        C. salary

     Wǒ jīntiān ___le 200 kuài qián.
2. 我    今天___    了200    块   钱。
     I have spent 200 Yuan today.

A. 花 (huā)     B. 丢 (diū)    C. 挣 (zhèng)

Answers to the practice questions: 1. A    2.B




Ref:http://resources.echineselearning.com/funstuff/funstuff-chinese-63.html


No comments:

Post a Comment